1. Participants can register for the Challenge between August 1st and October 31st Online. Registration is free. For online registration please see the events page.
2. The Challenge must be completed between September 1st and October 31st. Participants can only be credited for completion of one Challenge per year.
3. Answers must be submitted online no later than 11:59 Oct 31.
4. There are three levels of Challenge.
Frontenac Challenge: hike all 11 loops. (see hikers log.)
Frontenac Trek: hike any six loops (excluding the short Arab Lake Gorge and Doe Lake Loops).
Junior Challenge: youngsters under age 12 may hike any six loops.
We recommend that participants hike with a detailed trail map.
The official Frontenac Park trail map is available
at the park office/visitor centre.
Or order a map from our online store and
have it mailed to your home
5. Trail confirmation: One highly visible Yellow and red sign is located somewhere on each trail loop.
6. Alternate Trail: The Moulton Gorge Loop may be substituted for the Little Salmon Lake Loop.
7. Slide Lake Loop (21km): You don’t have to hike around both sides of Slide Lake. Choose one side — the western trail section is shorter but more rugged. Hiking "Small Slide Lake (9km)" does not count, you must do the full 21km Slide Lake Loop.
8. Start Close: Loops can be started from the closest parking lot.
9. Pace Yourself: Any loop can be spread over two or more days.
10. No Shortcuts: Parts of a trail loop that are shared with a neighboring loop must be hiked twice. Bufflehead and Dedication are excluded from the challenge.
11. Must Hike On Foot: All hikers must hike all loops on their own feet, you cannot be carried for any duration of the hike.